Fall has arrived, and it’s time to start thinking about transitioning your wardrobe for the cooler weather. In addition to trading in your tank tops for sweaters, you should also take some steps to prepare your home for the cold temperatures and increased precipitation. By taking a few simple steps in the fall to care for and maintain your home, and by working with a trusted general contractor in Littleton, CO make any necessary repairs, you can keep it in great shape no matter what the coming months have in store:
- Promote drainage: Plenty of rain and snow is to be expected during the fall and winter months, and this precipitation can take a toll on your home if you don’t take proper steps to prepare. Make sure to clear your gutters and inspect your roof drainage to ensure that water and melting snow can drain properly without damaging your home or its foundation.
- Service your HVAC system: You don’t want to be stuck in the depths of winter without a working heating source, so make sure to maintain your HVAC system before winter. Get a professional cleaning and tune-up so that you can feel confident that your system will work effectively and reliably all winter long.
- Inspect your foundation: Cracks in your home’s foundation can be a serious issue, especially during freezing temperatures and heavy precipitation in the fall and winter. Conduct a thorough inspection of your foundation to look for cracks.
- Handle roof repairs: Your roof bears the brunt of extreme fall and winter weather conditions, so it’s important to ensure that it’s up for the challenge. If there are any missing or damaged shingles, take care of repairs as soon as possible. If your roof is nearing the end of its life, it might be time for you to consider a full replacement.
- Care for your yard: Mulch your plants, prune your trees and weed your garden in preparation for the dormant winter months. The more you care for your yard in the fall, the easier it will be for you to bring it back to life in the spring and summer.
- Get your fireplace ready: You may be anxious to start putting your fireplace to good use this winter, but you should take a few steps to prepare it first. Get your fireplace and chimney professionally cleaned and inspected to reduce the risk of chimney fires.
- Prepare your pipes: Freezing pipes are a real concern in the fall and winter, so take the time to insulate your pipes against the cold weather. Wrap your outdoor pipes and fixtures with foam insulation material to prevent pipe damage during freezing conditions.
At Harrison Custom Builders, LTD, we know that fall is the perfect time to invest in home care and maintenance, which is why we are proud to provide home building and remodeling services throughout the year. If you want to update your home with a remodeling project or a new addition, we are the team to call. Since 1955, we have been proud to provide customized services to our clients, and we continue to be dedicated to the quality of the work that we do. You can get started with your next project by giving us a call today for a consultation with a general contractor in Littleton, CO.
Categorised in: General Contractor